Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Kodak 4X

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I always enjoy trying a stock I've never used before, but there is one I've always been intrigued with which doesn't exist anymore, and that is Kodak 4X 400ASA B&W reversal.

    Anybody here every use it, what were it's capabilities? (I've heard it was good even on moonlit nights) Was the grain really huge?

    When was it pulled from the market?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I still have one cartridge of it. I didn't know it was discontinued until it was really discontinued. I definitely would have bought at least a ten pack if I had known it was being discontinued. I was more of a kodachrome guy back then, so my experiences with the 4X are limited, but I would LOVE to shoot some 4x now.

    I have heard of people trying to shoot the tri-x to look like 4-X. Perhaps they underexpose by one f-stop and over develop by two stops to make the Tri-X look like 4-X???

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 27, 2003 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Forum-405 ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I have a vague memory that it was clumpier looking in the grain department and I remember it rendering a scene with a harsher look than the modern films. Or maybe it was the way I let the set, it's been a long time ago.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just got confirmation that to make Tri-X look like 4X you underexpose the Tri-X by one stop and then push process the film one stop.

    This technique effectively gives you one extra stop of sensitivity when shooting with Tri-X and then will give you the grain structure of 4X, which is no longer made.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •